Gaming laptops are laptops usually with more powerful features and components than normal laptops. You should also note that Gaming laptops are not used only for gaming but users buy these for better performance in their work. Yes, gaming laptops are high-performance laptops that won’t lag even if you are doing some resource-intensive tasks. Since gaming laptops are equipped with powerful GPU, Processor, and high-performance RAM, they are quite costly, and thus at the time of buying them, it is natural for you to think how long this gaming laptop will last.
When you spend a lot of money, it is natural that you would want it to work for a long time. Let me tell you that gaming laptops last for more than 5-6 years in general. However, if you keep it with the utmost care, it can last even more. Moreover, there are tons of factors out there that effects its lifespan. I will be discussing them in detail in this article.
Before moving ahead, let’s have a quick glance at the difference between Normal Laptops and Gaming Laptops. The reason I am sharing the difference between both types of laptop is that you would know how much different gaming laptops are from Normal ones. So, that we can have good insights into the lifespan of gaming laptops as well.
Normal Laptop vs Gaming Laptop
|Feature||Normal Laptop||Gaming Laptop|
|Graphics Card||Integrated graphics card or basic dedicated graphics card||High-performance dedicated graphics card|
|Processor||Mid-range processor||High-performance processor, often with multiple cores|
|RAM||Typically 4-8 GB||8 GB or more|
|Storage||Often includes a hard disk drive (HDD). Nowadays normal laptops also started using SSD mostly.||Usually includes a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster load times|
|Display||Standard resolution and refresh rate||High-resolution display with a fast refresh rate|
|Cooling System||Simple cooling system with one or two fans||Advanced cooling system with multiple fans and heat pipes because they get heated a lot when high end games you play.|
|Keyboard||Standard keyboard||Backlit keyboard with customizable lighting and extra keys|
|Design||Thin and lightweight for portability||Larger and heavier with a more aggressive design|
|Price||Generally more affordable||More expensive than normal laptops|
Which Hardware Components Affect the Gaming Laptop’s Lifespan the Most?
Although the CPU short for Central Processing Unit is the brain of the computer, it is not one that affects the gaming laptop’s lifespan the most. GPU short for Graphical Processing Unit is the component that vastly impacts the gaming laptop’s lifespan.
When you play a game, the CPU is the one that understands the behind-the-scene logic and processes everything in a proper manner but GPU does all the visual representation of the game on your display screens such as the Avatars, models, gaming geometry, and everything. And, as a Game is mostly a visual thing, the GPU must be sturdy and of high performance as it gets the most gaming load.
So, when you are getting a gaming laptop, make sure that it has the best high-performance and powerful GPU. The reason I am recommending this is to get the best because in Gaming Laptops GPUs are soldered onto the motherboard. Thus, GPU cannot be upgraded in a gaming laptop. So, even if it costs extra, save a bit more, and then buy a gaming laptop with a powerful GPU. For Example, RTX 4080 is one of the best Graphic Cards in the world.
How to Increase the Lifespan of a Gaming Laptop?
I have already given some hints earlier in this article as to how you can maintain your gaming laptop to make it last longer. Let’s check this out in more detail:
- Reapply Thermal Paste: Excessive heating is bad for any laptop. Especially, gaming laptops get high quickly when you play high-end games. If you keep using your gaming laptop for long durations even if it is very hot already, it may slowly start damaging the components. Although the thermal paste applied to the CPU from the factor are not always of high quality. Thus, if you really want to keep your processor cool, make sure to get a good quality Thermal Paste and apply a thicker coat there. You won’t need to change it from time to time because thermal paste last quite longer.
- Clean out dust: You must have always heard that dust is the enemy of your computer, and this is very correct. You must have to keep dusting your laptop so that dust and debris don’t accumulate and get into the internal parts.
- Use a cooling pad: Generally, gaming laptops are designed to work perfectly fine even at 85°C. But, it is always good to keep it as cool as possible. A cooling pad may help to keep your gaming laptop cool while you are playing a high-end game.
- Upgrading the Upgradable components: Upgrading components such as RAM or storage can help extend the lifespan of a gaming laptop as upgrading ensures that your gaming laptop is equipped well to handle the advanced requirements of the newest games.
- Extended Warranty: Gaming laptops come with at least 1-year warranty when you buy them, and generally, there won’t be any problem in that time frame. If there is any problem coming, it would be after that only. Thus, look for an extended warranty for 3-4 years. Although taking the extended warranty for this many years may seem a bit costlier it is always good to have because if a core component such as the GPU or CPU gets any issues or too much dust got into it, it’s not like you can replace it as easily as you can do with a Desktop computer. Thus, if you are covered with a warranty, you will get it done from the company easily without much hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I Get a Gaming laptop?
If you are a gamer, you must take a gaming laptop. However, if you are one who has a lot of high-intensive work like video editing, Animation related work, and as such, then also, the gaming laptop is a good choice because it can handle a good amount load, and also, the GPU is so well that even your video editing or animation related work will pretty much smooth.
If you have a budget, and you don’t travel much, then a gaming laptop is the way to go. If you are travelling a lot, then I would advise you not to get it because they are heavier. Thus, portability is a bit tough.
A gaming laptop may last up to 5-6 years in general as we have discussed in this article. Moreover, various factors as I have mentioned in the article may impact the lifespan as well. With a few tips, you can extend your gaming laptop’s life to some extent. Hope you liked this guide.